Monday, May 5, 2014

Viable Pregnancy?

DH and I had never gotten to the point that we were able to hear a heartbeat from our little bean in the past.  When the time came for DH and I to go to our fertility clinic to check for a heartbeat which would make this a "viable pregnancy" - we were nervous to say the least.  We prayed that this would be our miracle, and that if it wasn't that we would be given the strength the handle the situation.  Although, if I am being completely honest, I did not think I would be able to handle it at all.  I thought to myself, "This is when I will go off the deep end." - Luckily, everything looked GREAT!  No Deep End for this girl!

Before we go to check for a heart beat we had 4 blood draws, which all indicated a positive pregnancy.  40 pregnancy tests by that point to ensure I was still pregnant and that the line continued to get darker as each day passed.  But of course, that had happened before with other IVF cycles, but around the time of hearing the heartbeat . . a miscarriage had occurred.  So we knew that we hadn't suffered a "loss" yet, but we were hoping and praying that there was at least 1 healthy little heart beating away.  

We transferred 2 embryos, and DH was hoping that both embryos took and that I was pregnant with twins.  And by hoping, we was outwardly wishing this and praying for it daily.  Ha!  If there were 2 heartbeats in there, I would have been ECSTATIC.  But again, if I am being honest - I was silently hoping and praying for just 1 healthy little bean.  There were pros and cons of each side, and we would love to have 2 children, but 2 at once seemed a little overwhelming - and with some of my blood conditions - multiples would cause a risk for issues along the way.  Anyway, when we got to the doctors and I was laying there waiting for my doctor to come in and do the ultrasound, I was thinking of how much our lives could change in the next 5 minutes.  We could actually be pregnant with the baby(ies) we have been working our asses off to get for the past 3-4 years, or I would end up probably, slightly, definitely binge drinking for a little while. (months if I were to predict - Ha!) - I also wondered how I would react to either scenario with the doctor in the room - Will I cry either way?  Will I get angry?  Either way I was sick of waiting and was not being very patient and all I wanted was the doctor in the room now so that we could find out if everything is good, or if the worst has happened.  Having hubby there by my side definitely calmed me down, and he was so reassuring that everything was going to be perfectly fine and that both little beans are so comfortable and healthy.  God bless him for being so great while I wasn't - but I could tell that he didn't really believe himself either - or at least there was a little doubt.

The doctor came in.  Got right to it... and BOOM - Our lives were changed forever.  A heartbeat.  A single, healthy, beautiful, most amazing sound I have ever heard is beating.  It was music to our ears.  Of course DH was still wondering if there was another heartbeat somewhere in there, but there wasn't ha. 


It's crazy that one sound can make all of the struggles beforehand seem like they never happened.  I would go through it all again knowing what I know now.  It all seemed surreal.  I knew we weren't out of the woods yet.  That with a history of multiple miscarriages we were at risk for another.  But for that moment, that day - it seemed like none of that mattered and I was PREGNANT.  Finally.

Happy and Pregnant,
Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment