Monday, August 12, 2013

One of those infertile days . .


I decided it was a good idea to get the ball rolling for our 3rd round of IVF. We haven't decided when to start yet or anything, we just want to know what to expect the 3rd time around. Because of the 2 previous failed attempts they are changing up the protocol on which drugs, meds, and vitamins I should be on etc. I haven't been on here for a while, and I thought I would just check in.

We have had an amazing Summer. The "Summer of Fun" as I have been calling it. And I am happy to report it has been just that. I have travelled for fun, travelled to volunteer, shopping trips, road trips, fun at the lake house, went to concerts, worked on my golf game as well as my tan at our beach club, started a new career that I am in love with, and got to see my best friend since childhood get married. We have had a blast.

I don't have too much to update you on in regards to our fertility situation, or the lack thereof. The one thing that my doctor recommended after my last miscarriage was an RPL panel. (Repeat Pregnancy Loss Panel) An RPL Panel is basically a panel of blood tests that check into my genetic makeup even more. DH already had these tests done back when he got his results back with such astonishing low counts, etc. Well when they did these tests on me, they found that I have a genetic blood disorder which they call a Factor 5 Mutation. Long story short, this is a blood clotting issue. The other issue they found is called M.T.F.R. (initials for a long word I can't even say, never mind spell it out) - but basically this causes my enzymes to not synthesize correctly. These two issues combined leave me at high risk for death in delivery. Luckily, they found this! Now they will ensure that they can do everything they can to make sure these issues do not affect my pregnancy or my health during delivery. Anywho, I am finding out what vitamins and meds I should start taking just to get my body fully prepared for this next cycle and to hopefully assist my body in being able to carry full term.

We are excited, hopeful, anxious, and relaxed all at the same time. Excited and hopeful because 3rd time could be the charm =). Anxious, because it is all such an unknown, and relaxed because everything happens for a reason, when it's time to start this next cycle . . we'll know. After our last miscarriage we said things like, "everything happens for a reason," or "this clearly wasn't God's timing for us," and lastly, "the right thing at the wrong time is still wrong." And yes, we both believe all of those things, but mostly we were saying these "cliché" sayings to make ourselves feel better about the sad situation we were dealing with. Well, wouldn't ya know, if I had went full term with this last pregnancy, we would not have known about these blood issues, and who knows if I would have made it. So we are very thankful that our doctors found out what they did and performed the appropriate tests to hopefully avoid any disasters.

The true reason I posted today . . I needed to. I had to get some of these things on paper and off my chest. I am having such an off day, and sometimes I just need to vent. It's tough to call people and vent about this (other than my DH) - nobody really knows what to say. People who haven't been through this before don't understand always. I have some really great family members who genuinely care and love to hear about all that’s going on, good and bad. They ask such great questions, and some have even gone as far as doing their own research and sending me some information that I may like or they think may help. I appreciate all of that so much. But sometimes a computer screen is where I want to vent. So between this post, hugs from DH, and keeping in touch with "The Big Guy" today . . I know tomorrow will be a better day.

Hope and tears,

Lindsay

 

4 comments:

  1. Found you via Risa (WhoShotDownMyStork) and wanted to say hi! I am also an infertile with Factor V, tho I found out I had Factor V before we started trying as it runs in the family (thanks mom!). Once I tested positive for that my OB/GYN had me develop a plan with a perinatologist - which will involve (more) shots and lots of ultrasounds as well as being induced around 38wks. Now that we're in the (still) trying mode I talk to the PN office once every few months in an attempt to keep all parties involved on the same page :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, where are you in the process of the "still trying" mode? Did they put you on any special meds this time around, now that they found out you have Factor V?

    Thanks for reaching out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We started seeing a RE this past April, after suffering two chemical miscarriages. We have had one IUI, one TI, and a cancelled cycle - which unfortunately resulted in miscarriage #3. I am on baby aspirin and with the last miscarriage I was put on Levonox as soon as I got the positive BETA. The found out I had Factor V before we starting trying, which is when I started the baby aspirin treatment.

      Delete